Are you fascinated with the ins and outs of bringing a brand to life? Do you enjoy a fast paced and creative work environment? Are you a highly organized project manager? Short’s Brewing Company is looking for a Marketing and Branding Manager to maintain and develop our SBC voice and continue to push the boundaries on traditional and non-traditional marketing channels alike, making us a leader in the craft beverage industry.
The Marketing Manager is responsible for developing and executing the marketing, design and branding initiatives for Short’s Brewing Company, Beaches Hard Seltzer, and Starcut Cider, and managing a team of creative staff to help support these initiatives. S/he is responsible for the creation of marketing plans, as well as short/long term project plans, and the successful implementation of such plans. S/he needs to ensure the quality and authenticity of Short’s Brewing Company (SBC) and its respective brands continue to shine, and that the department continues to innovate and push the boundaries of traditional and non-traditional marketing avenues. During this time of high market competition, SBC must be a brand that is a market leader. The duties include the entire scope of SBC’s communications and design concepts including, but not limited to, print materials, website content, social media, advertising, media relations, and customer service.
The Marketing Manager will work closely with Operations, Sales, Festival and Events, Short’s Brewing Co. Pub, Short’s Mart, and other departments to ensure all teams are working harmoniously from a marketing/design perspective.
This is a salaried, at-will position reporting to the Sales Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Creative Team Direction
- Understand and continue to develop the SBC voice so our messaging is consistent and memorable. Learn and manage the different goals of each SBC brand.
- Develop and execute a working calendar year marketing plan with quarterly adjustments.
- Develop and execute comprehensive marketing plans and programs, both short and long range.
- Identify company-wide areas for Marketing direction and improvement (e.g., packaging materials, advertising opportunities, web presence improvement).
- Stay up to date with market trends both in the beverage industry, as well as marketing industry.
- Work closely with the Sales Director and Regional Sales Manager to identify market needs and creative plans to engage consumers.
- Collaborate with the Graphic Designers and Sales Director to help develop displays, point-of-sale (POS) materials, as well as advertising and promotion activities including print and digital media, social media, multimedia, and other messaging platforms.
- Work closely with the IT Team to make updates and improvements to the website. Ensure that information on the website is accurate and up-to-date.
- Motivate, mentor, supervise and support our Creative Team with clear and consistent direction.
- Work with the Product Development Team to create new products for Short’s Mart in line with marketing initiatives, sales needs, and trends.
- Cross Department Planning and Support
- Meet with all Department Heads associated with each project to develop and prioritize the tasks and deliverables associated with the project. To this end, the Marketing Manager will prepare a meeting agenda and keep all team members on track.
- Confer with Creative, Operations, and other department heads to discuss design needs, requirements, and presentation concepts.
- Project Management
- Create project plans for any Sales/Marketing cross-department projects that are approved by the Operations Team.
- Follow up with all project team members to check in on the status of assigned tasks and deliverables.
- Ensure that projects are completed by checking in with developers and collaborators.
- Effectively communicate on a regular basis across internal multiple departments.
- Hold team members accountable for completing tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Meet with the Operations Team on a regular basis (e.g., quarterly) to provide project updates and the Sales Director weekly to provide updates and brainstorm needs for upcoming projects and focuses.
- Develop and follow Project Management SOPs.
- Media and Distributor Relationships
- Provide photos and graphics to vendors, publications and public as needed, while maintaining brand integrity by enforcing media use permissions with those who require this media.
- Collaborate with the Operations Team and relevant Department Heads to pitch, develop, edit and distribute press releases.
- Maintain and update the media database to ensure accuracy.
- Website/Social Media Content
- Review and approve proofs of printed copy, art, and copy materials developed by staff members.
- Assist with the creation of content for social media, distributors, and email newsletters.
- Approve content for Beer Library, Beer Releases, Short’s News, Blogs and Beer Descriptions.
- Maintain, organize, name and archive all pictures/videos on SBC’s Common drive, external hard drives, as well as public domains (e.g., Flickr).
- Assist in the Taking/Obtaining of high-quality photos for use on the website, events, beer/cider releases, etc.
- Exemplify the quality, enthusiasm, and professionalism associated with SBC standards through work ethic & job performance
- Document any personnel incidences and report to HR.
- Interview, hire, and train new staff members, in collaboration with HR.
- Regularly meet with staff to review performance and set strategic direction, short-term and long-term.
- Report to Payroll and HR when an employee leaves the company.
- Proactively problem solve. Embrace the “big picture” goals which encompass Short’s values and philosophies to achieve the primary objectives.
- Understand, communicate, and help enforce HR policies and procedures.
- Practice good communication with senior leadership as well as colleagues.
- Sponsorship and Donations
- Work with the Sales Director in choosing and executing sponsorship and donation requests as they pertain to our yearly marketing plans and initiatives.
- Assist with the communication between sponsorship and donation contacts and SBC.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of equivalent Marketing experience preferred
- Consistently carry 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Occasional bending, stooping, pushing, lifting, kneeling and reaching.
- Frequent reaching with hands and arms.
- Climb stairs several times a day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to sit for extended periods; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including but not limited to – computers, telephone systems, calculators, copiers and facsimile machines.
- Consistently communicate clearly with employees and consumers.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Very computer literate. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Mail (and related programs), Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, Social Networks, Email Marketing, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, planning, records management and general administration.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of marketing.
- Consistently attentive to all details within projects.
- Must possess a valid MI drivers license.